About Ramanagaram

Ramanagaram located in the southern state of Karnataka with Ramanagaram district as headquarters. The city. The city occupies an area of 14.53 sq kms with an average elevation of 747 meters i.e. 2450 feet. The municipal town has been formed incorporating four talukas viz. Ramanagaram, Kanakapura, Channapatna and Magadi.

The town was known with different names during pre independence times. At first it was named as Shamsherbad during the reign of Tipu Sultan. After the rule of Sir Barray Close between 1756-1813 the city came to be called as Closepet.

The population census taken during 2011, the city had a population of 95,000. The total count represents 52% of male population and remaining 48% population  of females. The count also covers 13% population under the age group of six. The literacy rate recorded in the city was around 63% which is better than the overall country literacy rate. The percentage also comprises 67% male literates and 58% female literates. Kannada language is widely spoken in the town.

The city is in main focus in the state due to its sericulture activities done in wide scale that produces silk in large numbers. The silk produced in the town is in great demand in the state as well as all over the country. The Mysore silk sarees prepared from this silk is already favourite wardrobe of women in the country. This gave the city a nickname as Silk City or Silk Town. The city has been attributed as largest producer of silk cocoons in Asia. Majority of the people in the town earn their livelihood in connection with activities related to silk production. There are around 2000 Silk generating household units in the city.

The city is surrounded by huge rocks that magnifies the natural scenic beauty of the city. The reserve forest namely Handi-gundi forest reserve is believed to be 2.6 billion years old. Due to its hilly and rocky structure, the location is favourite for the climb lovers or trekkers who love trekking huge rocks or forests. The city has also gained fame as world's oldest granite outcrops.

The surrounded hills attracts the tourists all over the state. The hilly side of the city is been attracted by many film makers to shoot their films. The all time hit movie Sholay has been shot in this hilly and rocky areas. The other attractions in the city are Revanasideshwara and Handigundi hills which is in the pipline to be carved into statues and caves. The heavy forest in the city is favorite for large species of birds like bulbuls and long billed vultures. The administration has developed some 364 hectares into Ramadevarabetta Vulture Sanctuary to save long billed vultures from extinction. There is one beautiful lake named as Rangarayara doddi which is a favourite destination of people across the district and state.

The state capital Bangalore is just 50 km away from the city. The city comprises of 31 wards for effective administration and overall development of the city

104
  • SHARE THIS
  • TWEET THIS
  • SHARE THIS
  • COMMENT
  • LOVE THIS 0
  • E-mail

Comments / Discussion Board - About Ramanagaram

Loader